[Numpy-discussion] Help using numPy to create a very large multi dimensional array

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl@gmail....
Thu Apr 19 08:50:27 CDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis@ieee.org> wrote:
> Nick Fotopoulos wrote:
> > Devs, is there any possibility of moving/copying pylab.load to numpy?
> > I don't see anything in the source that requires the rest of
> > matplotlib.  Among convenience functions, I think that this function
> > ranks pretty highly in convenience.
> >

> I'm supportive of this.  But, it can't be named numpy.load.

I am also +1 on this, but this functionality should be implemented in
C, I think. I've just tested numpy.fromfile('name.txt', sep=' ')
against pylab.load('name.txt') for a 35MB text file, the number are:

numpy.fromfile: 2.66 sec.
pylab.load:  16.64 sec.

--
Lisandro Dalcín