[Numpy-discussion] Building numpy on Solaris x86 with sun CC and libsunperf

David M. Cooke cookedm@physics.mcmaster...
Thu Apr 19 15:20:39 CDT 2007

Peter C. Norton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to build numpy for some of my users, and I can't seem to
> get the [blas_opt] or the [lapack_opt] settings to be honored in my
> site.cfg:
>
> $ CFLAGS="-L$STUDIODIR/lib/ -l=sunperf" CPPFLAGS='-DNO_APPEND_FORTRAN' \
> /scratch/nortonp/python-2.5.1c1/bin/python setup.py config
> Running from numpy source directory.
> F2PY Version 2_3649
> blas_opt_info:
> blas_mkl_info:
>   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/local/lib
>   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /lang/SunOS.5.i386/studio-11.0/SUNWspro/lib
>   NOT AVAILABLE
> [etc, with nothing found]
>
> And after all this, I get
> /projects/python-2.5/numpy-1.0.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1210:
> UserWarning:
>     Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
>     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
>     the ATLAS environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
>
> and a similar thing happens with lapack. My site.cfg boils down to
> this:
>
> [DEFAULT]
> library_dirs = /usr/local/lib:/lang/SunOS.5.i386/studio-11.0/SUNWspro/lib
> include_dirs = /usr/local/include:/lang/SunOS.5.i386/studio-11.0/SUNWspro/include
>
> [blas_opt]
> libraries = sunperf
>
> [lapack_opt]
> libraries = sunperf
>
> If I mess around with system_info.py I can get setup to acknowledge
> the addition to the list, but it seems from the output that the
> optimized libraries section in the site.cfg is ignored (eg. never
> added to the classes _lib_names array).

Try this instead of blas_opt and lapack_opt:

[blas]
blas_libs = sunperf

[lapack]
lapack_libs = sunperf

> Also, since the lapack and blas libraries are already essentially part
> of libsunperf, built, do I still need a fortran compiler to link build
> numpy or can I just bypass that (somehow) and link the .so and go on
> my merry way?

I think you should be fine with a C compiler. You'd probably have to
fiddle with the definitions of the blas_info and lapack_info classes in
numpy.distutils.system_info -- they hardcode using Fortran.

At some point, system_info will get some more lovin' -- it should be
refactored to be more consistent.

- --