[Numpy-discussion] matlab vs. python question

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Wed Apr 25 13:32:18 CDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/25/07, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in this comparison (not in starting yet another flame fest).
> I actually know nothing about matlab, but almost all my peers use it.  One
> of the things I recall reading on this subject is that matlab doesn't
> support OO style programming.  I happened to look on the matlab vendor's
> website, and found that it does have classes.  OTOH, I've seen at least
> some matlab code, and never saw anyone use these features.

Actually, I think I know why you've never seen anyone use matlab
objects, and this is because they are implemented in a rather strange
way that makes them painful to use.  I know because I've used them a
lot myself, and I still have the scars,

Matthew