[Numpy-discussion] [Python-3000] PEP 31XX: A Type Hierarchy for Numbers (and other algebraic entities)

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton@gmail....
Fri Apr 27 06:58:58 CDT 2007

On Apr 26, 6:58 am, "Guido van Rossum" <g...@python.org> wrote:
> I would like to let users modify the
> built-ins, but such changes ought to be isolated from other
> interpreters running in the same address space. I don't want to be the
> one to tell the mod_python community they won't be able to upgrade to
> 3.0...

As someone from the mod_python community, the discussion has been
noted though. :-)

FWIW, in mod_wsgi, an alternate way of hosting Python in conjunction
with Apache which is being developed and already available for early
experimentation, it will also be optionally possible to isolate
applications into separate processes potentially being run as
different users. This will still though all be configured through and
managed by Apache with it being pretty transparent to an application
and a user as to whether a specific application is running in the
Apache child process or the distinct daemon process spawned by Apache.
Since the use of a separate daemon process will probably end up being
the preferred mode of operation, especially for commercial web
hosting, loosing the ability to also run parallel applications in
distinct interpreters within the same process would only be a minor
loss. Using multiple sub interpreters already causes lots of headaches
with the simple GIL state API, inability to have different versions of
extension modules loaded etc, so much so that separate processes may
have to be the norm.

Graham