[Numpy-discussion] Numerics vs. numpy

O.Doehring@cs.ucl.... O.Doehring@cs.ucl....
Fri Apr 27 07:43:15 CDT 2007

Dear community,

I have a question regarding the installation process of the Biopython
toolbox ( http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.html#htoc14 ):

I want to make sure that Numerical Python is correctly installed under
Windows XP which it is not in my case:

>>> from Numeric import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
   from Numeric import *
ImportError: No module named Numeric

But if I am doing:

>>> from numpy import *

it works. This is not too surprised as it gets installed under numpy in the
folder: C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages

But the problem is that if I am making various library calls to Biopython I
get an error, e.g. for handling PDB-stuff:

 File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\Bio\PDB\PDBParser.py", line 9, in
<module>
   from Numeric import array, Float0
ImportError: No module named Numeric

For help I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Yours,

Orlando