[Numpy-discussion] matlab vs. python question

Simon Berube sberub@gmail....
Sat Apr 28 13:03:34 CDT 2007

Use a week functions are basically function that you use for a short
period of time where a full fledged well designed program is more of a
waste of time than anything else. Other then that, for what you miss
it really, really depends on your applications and goals. I work on
signal processing and analysis which is very well supported by numpy/
scipy/matplotlib but if you were working in neural networks, finance,
etc...  then python wouldn't be as productive right out of the box.

I suppose the general rule would be, if your project is large and to
be used by a lot of people then Python is probably much better and
more portable, not everyone will need a Matlab License with the proper
version. On the other hand, if you are more interested in small
projects where speed of development is more important than long term
sustainability of the code Matlab is probably better. This is usually
the case in research environment, at least until you figure out
exactly what you want to do, then switch to python.

I hope this help, but either way the decision will have to be made on
your end given that it's impossible for anyone else to have all the
information about your situation.  But keep in mind there is no clear
winner, one tool is good for one thing and another one is good for
another. Python and Matlab just have a large amount of overlap.