[Numpy-discussion] I am volunteering to be the release manager for NumPy 1.0.3.1 and SciPy 0.5.2

Thu Aug 9 21:42:05 CDT 2007

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> I volunteer to be the release manager for NumPy 1.0.3.1 and SciPy
> 0.5.3.  In order to actually get them both released I will obviously
> need some help.  But given the amount of work required and the number
> of people who have offered to help, I believe this will be doable.
>
> Given the extensive discussion about what is needed for these
> releases, I am fairly confident that I know what needs to be done.  I
> will try to be very specific about what I will do and what I will need
> help with.  Basically, I am just rewriting the plan described by
> Robert Kern last month.  Please let me know if you have any
> suggestions/comments/problems with this plan and please let me know if
> you can commit to helping in any way.
>
> [[NOTE:  I just (on Monday) hired 2 full-time programmers to work on
> the neuroimaging in python (NIPY) project, so they will be able to
> help out with bug fixing as well as testing the pre-releases on
> different platforms.]]
>
> Releasing NumPy 1.0.3.1
> ===================
> On July 24th, Robert suggested making a numpy 1.0.3.1 point release.
> He was concerned that there were some changes in numpy.distutils that
> needed to cook a little longer.  So I am offering to make a 1.0.3.1
> release.  If Travis or one of the other core NumPy developers want to
> make a 1.0.4 release in the next week or so, then there won't be a
> need for a 1.0.3.1 release.
>
> First, I will branch from the 1.0.3 tag:
> svn cp http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/tags/1.0.3
> http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/branches/1.0.3
>
> Second, I will apply all the patches necessary to build scipy from
> svn, but nothing else.  Then I will just follow the NumPy release
> instructions:  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingReleases
> I will make the tarball and source rpm; but will need help with
> everything else.  Things will go faster if someone else can build the
> Windows binaries.
For windows, I understand the main problem is ATLAS, right ? I have
discussed a bit the issue with Clint Whaley (the main developer of
ATLAS), and I think I got a way to build ATLAS without using SSE (which
caused trouble for some "old" ATHLON last time, AFAIK). I can provide
the informations to you; I would just need someone to test the binaries
on a non SSE machine, since I don't have any myself.

cheers,

David