[Numpy-discussion] fast putmask implementation

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Fri Aug 17 00:32:51 CDT 2007

David M. Cooke wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:39:02PM -1000, Eric Firing wrote:
>> As far as I can see there is no way of using svn diff to deal with
>> this automatically, so in the attached revision I have manually removed
>> chunks resulting solely from whitespace.
>>
>> Is there a better way to handle this problem?  A better way to make diffs?
>> Or any possibility of routinely cleaning the junk out of the svn source
>> files?  (Yes, I know--what is junk to me probably results from what others
>> consider good behavior of the editor.)
>
> 'svn diff -x -b' might work better (-b gets passed to diff, which makes
> it ignore space changes). Or svn diff -x -w to ignore all whitespace.
>
> Me, I hate trailing ws too (I've got Emacs set up so that gets
> highlighted as red, which makes me angry :). The hard tabs in C code is
> keeping with the style used in the C Python sources (Emacs even has a
> 'python' C style -- do "C-c . python").

David,

Thank you.  I had tried something like that a while ago without success,
and now I know why: the '-w' has to be quoted to keep it out of the
clutches of the shell, so it is "svn diff -x '-w'".  The result is
attached.  Much better.

As for hard tabs in C Python sources--it is still a bad idea even if the
BDFL himself does it--very bad for Python, not quite as bad for C, but
still bad.  Too fragile, too dependent on editor configuration, and in
numpy, not done consistently--it's a complete mishmash of tabs and
spaces.  OK, enough of that.

Eric