[Numpy-discussion] Installation problem NumPy-1.0.3 on Linux x86_64 Python 2.4.2

Vivian Tini v.tini@tu-bs...
Tue Aug 21 07:11:37 CDT 2007

Dear All,

I am trying to install the package NumPy-1.0.3 on Linux x86_64 with Python
version 2.4.2 and after using the standard installation command :

 python setup.py install

I received the following error message:
error: could not create '/usr/local/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/numpy':
Permission denied

What is the cause of this problem? What kind of permission do I need?

The python executable is located in /usr/bin however the numpy directory from
where I tried to install is located in /home/../numpy-1.0.3.

I hope someone could help me to figure out how shall I proceed. Thank you very
much in advance.

Regards

Vivian Tini