[Numpy-discussion] Citing Numeric and numpy

Peter numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co...
Wed Aug 29 06:44:01 CDT 2007

Dear Travis and the Numerical Python community,

I would like to know if there is a preferred form for citing the old
"Numeric" library and more recent "numpy" libraries in a publication.  I
have checked the mailing list archives, but didn't find an answer.

I am not aware of any publication for the original Numeric library,
leaving just the project webpage.  Is something like this acceptable?:

David Ascher et al. (2001) Numerical Python, http://www.numpy.org

For NumPy, is it best to cite http://www.numpy.org or the book? Would
this suffice for the NumPy book citation:

Travis E. Oliphant (2006) Guide to NumPy, Trelgol Publishing, USA.

It would be nice to have the full citation reference details (e.g.
publisher's address and explicit year of publication) on the book's
webpage: http://www.tramy.us

Thanks,

Peter