[Numpy-discussion] python-numpy debian package and f2py

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Mon Dec 3 02:20:45 CST 2007

Ho,

f2py is part of numpy and therefore there is no need to
have python-f2py package. The version number of f2py
(2_3816, for instance), indicates which SVN commit changed
the f2py package and has local usage only.

python-f2py package could be retained only for backward
compatibilty for users who are importing f2py2e package
and for users who need Numeric and numarray support in f2py.
Otherwise there is no need for it.

Note that if debian is going to ship Numeric then it should
also ship python-f2py. But this means that one cannot
install numpy as the will be a conflict of f2py scripts.

Regards,
Pearu