[Numpy-discussion] Loading a > GB file into array

Martin Spacek numpy@mspacek.mm...
Mon Dec 3 19:20:57 CST 2007

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> Very interesting. Have you made measurements to see how many times you
> lost one of your cycles. I made these kind of measurements on Linux using
> the real-time clock with C and it was very interesting (
> http://www.gael-varoquaux.info/computers/real-time ). I want to redo them
> with Python, as I except to have similar results with Python. It would be
> interesting to see how Windows fits in the picture (I know nothing about
> Windows, so I really can't make measurements on Windows).

Neat, thanks for that, I'll have a look. I'm very slowly transitioning
my computing "life" over to linux, but I've been told by Andrew Straw (I
think http://visionegg.org might have some details, see the mailing
list) that it's harder to get close to a real-time OS with linux (while
running high level stuff like opengl and python) than it is in windows.
I hope that's changed, or is changing. I'd love to switch over to 64-bit
linux. As far as windows is considered, I'd like 32bit winxp to be my
last iteration.

Martin