[Numpy-discussion] Loading a > GB file into array

Tue Dec 4 03:36:02 CST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:13:53PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> With recent kernels, you can get really good latency if you do it right
> (around 1-2 ms worst case under high load, including high IO pressure).

As you can see on my page, I indeed measured less than 1ms latency on
Linux under load with kernel more than a year old. These things have
gotten much better recently and with a premptible kernel you should be
able to get 1ms easily. Going below 0.5ms without using a realtime OS (ie
a realtime kernel, under linux) is really pushing it.

Cheers,

Gaël