[Numpy-discussion] Loading a > GB file into array

Andrew Straw strawman@astraw....
Tue Dec 4 04:28:54 CST 2007

Hi all,

I haven't done any serious testing in the past couple years, but for
this particular task -- drawing frames using OpenGL without ever
skipping a video update -- it is my impression that as of a few Ubuntu
releases ago (Edgy?) Windows still beat linux.

Just now, I have investigated on 2.6.22-14-generic x86_64 as pacakged by
Ubuntu 7.10, and I didn't skip a frame out of 1500 at 60 Hz. That's not
much testing, but it is certainly better performance than I've seen in
the recent past, so I'll certainly be doing some more testing soon. Oh,
how I'd love to never be forced to use Windows again.

Leaving my computer displaying moving images overnight, (and tomorrow at
lab on a 200 Hz display),
Andrew