[Numpy-discussion] Loading a > GB file into array

Tue Dec 4 04:38:05 CST 2007

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't done any serious testing in the past couple years, but for
> this particular task -- drawing frames using OpenGL without ever
> skipping a video update -- it is my impression that as of a few Ubuntu
> releases ago (Edgy?) Windows still beat linux.

The problem is that this is the kind of things which is really
distribution (because of kernel patch) dependent.
> Just now, I have investigated on 2.6.22-14-generic x86_64 as pacakged by
> Ubuntu 7.10, and I didn't skip a frame out of 1500 at 60 Hz. That's not
> much testing, but it is certainly better performance than I've seen in
> the recent past, so I'll certainly be doing some more testing soon. Oh,
> how I'd love to never be forced to use Windows again.

You should try the rt kernel: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime/Gutsy.
This does make a huge difference.

cheers,

David