[Numpy-discussion] scipy.scons branch: building numpy and scipy with scons

Tue Dec 4 21:00:39 CST 2007

Robert Kern wrote:

> Tweaking should be the province of the developer and the desperate. We have to
> be able to tweak, but we should spend more time on preventing the need for tweaking.

Yes, I can only agree 100 % with you. This is maybe *the* reason why I
started this whole thing. Distutils "architecture" (I am talking about
distutils in the python stdlib) makes tweaking totally impossible for
the mere mortal because it modifies everything everywhere.

We should be able to build out of the box without tweaking in more
situations than now; tweaking should be possible, but not at the expense
of the out-of-the-box experience.

cheers,

David