[Numpy-discussion] scipy.scons branch: building numpy and scipy with scons

Tue Dec 4 21:19:31 CST 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>>     - I have not yet tweaked fortran compiler configurations for
>> optimizations except for gnu compilers
>
> Can you give us a brief overview about how to do this? For example, the Intel
> Fortran compiler's SHLINKFLAGS in scons-local/.../SCons/Tool/ifort.py are
> incorrect for version 10 on OS X. Would I copy that file to scons/tool/ and make
> my edits there? Do I then add 'ifort' to the list in scons/core/default.py?

The basic rule is: if the code cannot run without a flag, the flag
should be put in a tool, or at worse (but really if you have no choice)
in numpyenv.py. If the flag is optimization, warning, etc... then it
should be put into default.py. Basically, tools are not always
up-to-date in scons, perticularly for fortran. So I provided a way to
override the tools: as you noticed, you can put tools in
.../scons/tools/, those will be picked up first. This is independent
from adding ifort in scons/core/default.py.

For Mac OS X, you may be bitten by  -undefined dynamic_lookup. This is
my fault: this flag is added at the wrong place, I put it temporarily in
the python extension builder, but this is not where it should be put.
Depending on its meaning, I can put it at the right place: does it give
the traditional unix semantic of enabling unresolved symbols instead of
the default one, which is similar to windows (even for shared code,
every symbol must be resolved) ?

cheers,

David