[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Dec 10 20:03:57 CST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 4:41 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> The current situation is untenable. I will gladly accept a slow BLAS for an
> official binary that won't segfault anywhere. We can look for a faster BLAS later.

Just to add a note to this: John Hunter and I just finished teaching a
python workshop here in Boulder, and one attendee had a recurring
all-out crash on WinXP.  Eventually John was able to track it to a bad
BLAS call, but the death was an 'illegal instruction'. We then noticed
that this was on an older Pentium III laptop, and I'd be willing to
bet that the problem is an ATLAS compiled with SSE2 support.  The PIII
chip only has plain SSE, not SSE2, and that's the kind of crash I've
seen when  accidentally running code compiled in my office machine (a
P4) on my laptop (a similarly old PIII).

It may very well be that it's OK to ship binaries with ATLAS, but just
to build them without any fancy instruction support (no SSE, SSE2 or
anything else of that kind, just plain x87 code).

Cheers,