[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Tue Dec 11 12:04:50 CST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> a simple, reasonable solution that is likely to work: ship TWO
> binaries of Numpy/Scipy each time:
>
> 1. {numpy,scipy}-reference: built with the reference blas from netlib,
> no atlas, period.
>
> 2. {}-atlas: built with whatever the developers have at the time,
> which will likely mean these days a core 2 duo with SSE2 support.
> What hardware it was built on should be indicated, so people can at
> least know this fact.

I disagree -- having an atlas version that only works on recent hardware
is just asking for complaints -- I think the ONLY way to go is for the
"standard" binary to be universal. Instructions should be provided for
building other versions, and if third parties want to distribute
processor-dependent versions, then great, but that's an extra.

By the way, I've always been confused by static linking of lapack/atlas
-- it seems to me that this kind of thing is on of the best uses of
dynamic linking -- the main binary is processor dependent, and it is
linked, at runtime, with the host's processor specific lib. -- could we
do it that way:

The standard distro includes a universal dynamic lib.

Folks build processor-specific libs that can be dropped in to replace
the universal one if someone so desires.

Then it's a "small" step to include a runtime tool that selects the best
lib it can find on the system.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov