[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Wed Dec 12 12:36:02 CST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
>> I will put new binaries on the sourceforge site this weekend for both
>> NumPy 1.0.4 and SciPy 0.6.0.  I should be able to find an old PIII
>> WinXP machine around somewhere, which I will devote to building the
>> official non-SSE2 releases from here on out.
>>

> Great, many thanks!
>
> Keep in mind that as Ryan's tests showed, Athlon XP chips also seem to
> lack the SSE2 set, and those are a bit newer than the PIII, so they
> might be a bit easier to find.  The Athlon 64 and Athlon X2 do have
> SSE2, but apparently the XP doesn't.  I'm sure there's a wikipedia
> page somewhere with a list of all the chips where SSE2 first
> appeared...

I suspect the problem is that I was using an Athlon chip without SSE2 to
build binaries in the past.  That machine is now being used by my kids
and my environment on it has been "messed-up"

There may also be a problem with using the Microsoft compiler to build
NumPy (and then calling out to ATLAS which was built with a different
compiler).  Issues like this have happened in the past.   And, the most
recent binaries of NumPy were built with the Microsoft compiler.

-Travis O.