[Numpy-discussion] [C++-sig] Overloading sqrt(5.5)*myvector

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood@ncsu....
Thu Dec 27 08:58:31 CST 2007

Thanks for the comment, which limits the range of possible solutions.
The VPython vector class is implemented in C++, not in Python. I made up
the simple test in my previous note to try out the solution that had
been offered and which you have usefully ruled out. Here is the relevant
part of the vector class, which indeed doesn't look like an ndarray:

inline vector
operator*( const double s) const throw()
{ return vector( s*x, s*y, s*z); }

and here is the free function for right multiplication:

inline vector
operator*( const double& s, const vector& v)
{ return vector( s*v.x, s*v.y, s*v.z); }

Maybe the unsolvable problem is in the Boost definitions:

py::class_<vector>("vector", py::init< py::optional<double, double,
double> >())
     .def( self * double())
     .def( double() * self)

Left multiplication is fine, but right multiplication isn't.

Bruce Sherwood