[Numpy-discussion] [C++-sig] Overloading sqrt(5.5)*myvector

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood@ncsu....
Sat Dec 29 17:00:53 CST 2007

Okay, I've implemented the scheme below that was proposed by Scott
Daniels on the VPython mailing list, and it solves my problem. It's also
much faster than using numpy directly: even with the "def "and "if"
overhead: sqrt(scalar) is over 3 times faster than the numpy sqrt, and
sqrt(array) is very nearly as fast as the numpy sqrt.

Thanks to those who made suggestions. There remains the question of why
operator overloading of the kind I've described worked with Numeric and
Boost but not with numpy and Boost. There is also the question of
whether it would pay for numpy to make what is probably an exceedingly
fast check and do much faster calculations of sqrt(scalar) and other
such mathematical functions.

Bruce Sherwood