[Numpy-discussion] large memory address space on Mac OS X (intel)

Louis Wicker Louis.Wicker@noaa....
Thu Feb 1 13:33:23 CST 2007

Dear list:

I cannot seem to figure how to create arrays > 2 GB on a Mac Pro
(using Intel chip and Tiger, 4.8).  I have hand compiled both Python
2.5 and numpy 1.0.1, and cannot make arrays bigger than 2 GB.  I also
run out of space if I try and 3-6 several arrays of 1000 mb or so
(the mem-alloc failure does not seem consistent, depends on whether I
am creating them with a "numpy.ones()" call, or creating them on the
fly by doing math with the other arrays "e.g., c  = 4.3*a + 3.1*b").

Is this a numpy issue, or a Python 2.5 issue for the Mac?  I have
tried this on the SGI Altix, and this works fine.

If there is a compile flag to turn on 64 bit support in the Mac
compile, I would be glad to find out about it.  Or do I have to wait
for Leopard?

Thanks.

Lou Wicker

----
| Dr. Louis J. Wicker
| NSSL/WRDD
| National Weather Center
| 120 David L. Boren Boulevard, Norman, OK 73072-7323
|
| E-mail:   Louis.Wicker@noaa.gov
| HTTP:  www.nssl.noaa.gov/~lwicker
| Phone:    (405) 325-6340
| Fax:        (405) 325-6780
|
| "Programming is not just creating strings of instructions
| for a computer to execute.  It's also 'literary' in that you
| are trying to communicate a program structure to
| other humans reading the code." - Paul Rubin

|"Real efficiency comes from elegant solutions, not optimized programs.
----

----