[Numpy-discussion] large memory address space on Mac OS X (intel)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Feb 1 15:11:29 CST 2007

Louis Wicker wrote:
> Sebastian:
>
> that code helps a lot.  A standard gcc (no flags) of that code breaks,
> but if you compile it with gcc -m64, you can address large memory spaces.
>
> So I will try and compile numpy with -m64....

It won't work. Your Python is not compiled as a 64-bit program. The whole stack
down to the runtime libraries needs to be built as a 64-bit program. That's easy
enough to do with a single-file C program, but in Tiger the 64-bit runtime
provides very few services, not enough to build Python.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco