[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and iterative procedures

Geoffrey Zhu gzhu@peak6....
Thu Feb 15 09:33:13 CST 2007

Hi,

I am new to numpy. I'd like to know if it is possible to code efficient
iterative procedures with numpy.

Specifically, I have the following problem.

M is an N*N matrix. Q is a N*1 vector. V is an N*1 vector I am trying to
find iteratively from the initial value V_0. The procedure is simply to
calculate

V_{n+1}[i]=3D1/M[I,i]*(q[i]-
(M[i,1]*v_{n+1}[1]+M[I,2]*v_{n+1}[2]+..+M[i,i-1]*v_{n+1}[i-1]) -
(M[I,i+1]*v_{n}[i+1]+M[I,i+2]*v_{n}[i+2]+..+M[I,N]*v_{n}[N]))

I do not see that this is something that can esaily be vectorized, is
it?

Thanks,
Geoffrey

_______________________________________________________=0A=
=0A=
The  information in this email or in any file attached=0A=
hereto is intended only for the personal and confiden-=0A=
tial  use  of  the individual or entity to which it is=0A=
addressed and may contain information that is  propri-=0A=
etary  and  confidential.  If you are not the intended=0A=
recipient of this message you are hereby notified that=0A=
any  review, dissemination, distribution or copying of=0A=
this message is strictly prohibited.  This  communica-=0A=
tion  is  for information purposes only and should not=0A=
be regarded as an offer to sell or as  a  solicitation=0A=
of an offer to buy any financial product. Email trans-=0A=
mission cannot be guaranteed to be  secure  or  error-=0A=
free. P6070214=0A=