[Numpy-discussion] Possible solution to binary distributionproblems for numpy on linux?

Thu Feb 15 11:36:20 CST 2007

On 2/12/07, LUK ShunTim <shuntim.luk@polyu.edu.hk> wrote:

> David Cournapeau wrote:
> > Keith Goodman wrote:
> for many
> that's just
> >> Do all of the major GNU/Linux distributions have recent versions of
> NumPy?
> >>
> >> Debian Etch is at NumPy 1.0.1
> > I think debian has numpy now (I am not using debian on workstation
> > anymore, so I am not really following), but what about new versions of
> > numpy/scipy ? If I want to give some of my code to people in my lab who
> > do not use the same distribution than me, can I give a 10 minutes
> > instructions set to have everything ?
> >

> "Bleeding-edge apt-get repository" according to their web page.
> "To use it add the following line to you /etc/apt/sources.list"
>
> deb http://deb-scipy.alioth.debian.org/apt ./

Yep. In general, if you are using a Linux distro it is quite easy to use the
svn repository. It seem to be on the Mac and Windows that folks have
problems, particularly in filling the dependencies on Atlas if they want
efficiency.

That said, Numpy and MatplotLab have settled enough that the standard
packages are probably adequate.

Chuck