[Numpy-discussion] Possible solution to binary distributionproblems for numpy on linux?

LUK ShunTim shuntim.luk@polyu.edu...
Thu Feb 15 23:13:23 CST 2007

Keir Mierle wrote:
> On 2/15/07, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> "Bleeding-edge apt-get repository" according to their web page.
>>> "To use it add the following line to you /etc/apt/sources.list"
>>>
>>> deb http://deb-scipy.alioth.debian.org/apt ./
>> Yep. In general, if you are using a Linux distro it is quite easy to use the
>> svn repository. It seem to be on the Mac and Windows that folks have
>> problems, particularly in filling the dependencies on Atlas if they want
>> efficiency.
>>
>> That said, Numpy and MatplotLab have settled enough that the standard
>> packages are probably adequate.
>
> While this is true for people admining their own machines, this is not the case
> for people without root access. For example, it is a major hassle to install
> numpy on the computers at my university for exactly this reason.

Probably OT now, ...

Ya, I can understand your feeling very well and therefore, I administer
my own box. :-)

A possible workaround for Debian is debootstrap, which enables one to
build a chroot debian system inside an existing one. Some infromation here
	http://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

Regards,
ST