[Numpy-discussion] Greek Letters

Mark Janikas mjanikas@esri....
Tue Feb 20 19:11:42 CST 2007

Thanks for all the info.  That website with all the codes is great.

MJ

-----Original Message-----
From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org [mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of Zachary Pincus
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:18 PM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Greek Letters

I have found that the python 'unicode name' escape sequence, combined
with the canonical list of unicode names ( http://unicode.org/Public/
UNIDATA/NamesList.txt ), is a good way of getting the symbols you
want and still keeping the python code legible.

 From the above list, we see that the symbol name we want is GREEK
SMALL LETTER CHI, so:
chi = u'\N{GREEK SMALL LETTER CHI}'
will do the trick. For chi^2, use:
chi2 = u'\N{GREEK SMALL LETTER CHI}\N{SUPERSCRIPT TWO}'

Note that to print these characters, we usually need to encode them
somehow. My terminal supports UTF-8, so the following works for me:
import codecs
print codecs.encode(chi2, 'utf8')

giving (if your mail reader supports utf8 and mine encodes it
properly...):
χ²

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine