[Numpy-discussion] How to tell numpy to use gfortran as a compiler ?

Sun Feb 25 00:41:01 CST 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I try to compile numpy using gfortran, using:
>>
>>     python setup.py config --fcompiler=gnu
>>
>>     But this does not work. Whatever option I try, numpy build system
>> uses g77, and as a result, I have problems with my ATLAS library
>> compiled with gfortran. What should I do to compiler numpy with
>> blas/lapack compiler with gfortran ?
>
> --fcompiler=gnu95
I also tried this option, without any luck. numpy still uses g77 (which
is gcc 3.4 for fortran on my ubuntu system) instead of gfortran.

But now, I think I misunderstand some things : I thought that g77 was
the 3.* version of the fortran compiler, and gfortran the 4.* one. But
it looks like they are also different in the fortran dialect they are
supporting (I know nothing about fortran). So should I use gfortran at
all to compile the fortran wrapper for BLAS/LAPACK by ATLAS ? Or should
I use g77 ? How can I be sure then that I won't have problems using gcc
3* serie for Fortran and gcc 4* serie for everything else (C, C++ and
most if not all libraries compiled on my system) ?

cheers,

David