[Numpy-discussion] ndarray newbie question

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 13:55:50 CST 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 14:18, belinda thom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote a "display obj" method for viewing instance data:
> and I'm wondering why it doesn't work on ndarrays:

An (instance of) ndarray doesn't have a  __dict__ attribute, as you've
noticed.
The class  ndarray does have one.
Is it because the class ndarray doesn't have an init method ? Dunno. Robert
mentions it could be C related.
Note that float(3), dict(a=3), list([3]) don't have __dict__ attributes
either, when float, dict, and list do have one.

You can still access the list of attributes an instance by dir, and a specific
one by __getattribute__

for k in dir(obj): print k, obj.__getattr__(k)

Or try to access the class of the instance to get the __dict__
for k in obj.__class__.__dict__.keys(): print k