[Numpy-discussion] Latest Array-Interface PEP

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 06:20:29 CST 2007

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I'm attaching my latest extended buffer-protocol PEP that is trying to
> get the array interface into Python.  Basically, it is a translation of
> the numpy header files into something as simple as possible that can
> still be used to describe a complicated block of memory to another user.
>
> My purpose is to get feedback and criticisms from this community before
> display before the larger Python community.
>
> -Travis

I'm wondering if having the buffer object specify the view is the right
choice.  I think the best choice is to separate the design into:

buffer: provides an interface to memory
array: provides a view of memory as an array of whatever dimensions

1. buffer may or may not map to contiguous memory.
2. multiple views of the same memory can be shared.  These different views
could represent different slicings.