[Numpy-discussion] Advanced selection, duplicate indices, and augmented assignment

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 17:34:59 CST 2007

Sean R. Lynch wrote:

> array([ 1.,  1.,  0.])
>
> If this worked the way I was hoping, the output would be [1 2 0] because
> it would add to element 1 twice due to its duplication in the advanced
> selection array.
>
> Is the current behavior intentional or is it an accident of
> implementation?

It is an unavoidable consequence of the way Python interprets that code and the
way numpy arrays are fundamentally implemented. See Travis Oliphant's, Tim
Hochberg's and my posts in the thread "Histograms via indirect index arrays" for
more details.

http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2006-March/thread.html#6877

--
Robert Kern