[Numpy-discussion] discussion about array.resize() -- compare to numarray

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmx.net
Mon Jan 8 12:52:58 CST 2007

On 1/8/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
>
> >On 1/8/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> >

> >Hi Stéfan,
> >
> >Why is there a needed for this very confusing dualty !?
> >I would almost like to file a bug report on this !
> >
> >(It definitily broke "backwards compatibility" for my code coming from
> >numarray )
> >

> It's a remnant of trying to merge all the packages (done before the idea
> to have separate compatibility layers emerged).
>
> This one in particular is done because resize is used in this way at
> least once in the library code and so has a permanance it otherwise
> would not have enjoyed.
>
> I'm not sure we can change it now.  At least not until 1.1
>
> -Travis

I would suggest treating this as a real bug!
Then it could be fixed immediately.

I don't think that many people are relying on this behaviour, and if
so:  it is just so confusion that my guess is that they would be
always using EITHER the function OR the method - and run into this
"bug" as soon as they accidentally use the other one.

Bug-fixes don't have to keep backwards compatibility.

-Sebastian