[Numpy-discussion] functions vs. methods

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:32:56 CST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Sebastian Haase apparently wrote:
> Please explain again what the original decision was based
> on.

I think the real questions are:
what do the numpy developers want in the future,
and what is the right path from here to there?

> I remember that there was an effort at some point to make
> methods as functions more consistent.

Yes, but my (user's) memory is that there were a couple
exceptions for historical reasons.  As a user now of
essentially only numpy, I too would like to see those
exceptions go away, both for personal convenience, and for
the benefit of new users.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac