[Numpy-discussion] Where's append in NumPy?? Can't Installing NumPy.

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 12:41:58 CST 2007

Hi, Chris,   Some answers below (sort of):

--- Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Lou,
>
> This is odd. I've always been able to do it. I sure
> wish Apple had
> provided a decent package management system!

Amen!

> I have a dmg for 1.0.1 that seems to work well. I
> wonder where I got it?

I got my original NumPy that wouldn't install from the
MacPython site.  It was a package with the usual
install dialog.  Even wiping the existing NumPy from
site-packages didn't work.  Go figure.

Finally got NumPy installed using the tarball from
http://www.scipy.org/Download.  Did the usual,

sudo python setup install

stuff and that worked.  I now have NumPy 1.01 and it
has 'append'.

For others information:  I had to update SciPy and
Matplotlib, too.  SciPy turned out *not* to be doable
from its tarball on http://www.scipy.org/Download.  I
got the following error (after a whole LOT of output
from compiling, etc.):

/usr/local/bin/g77 -g -Wall -undefined
dynamic_lookup...blah,
blah.../scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcc_dynamic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcc_dynamic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

error: Command "/usr/local/bin/g77 -g -Wall -undefined
dynamic_lookup ...blah,
blah.../scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so" failed with exit
status 1

Exit 1

Whatever collect2 is ld couldn;t find it.  I finally
got SciPy installed from the superpack at the
http://www.scipy.org/Download site.  That seems to
work, giving me version 0.5.3dev for SciPy.

Matplotlib installed fine from tarball and the setup
stuff.

I hope that's of use to someone out there.  Each time
I upgrade something it's an adventure.  Thanks for the
feedback.

-- Lou Pecora
      My views are my own.