[Numpy-discussion] Exported symbols and code reorganization.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:29:07 CST 2007

Charles R Harris wrote:

> Is there a reason that the pointer PyArray_API remains valid if the
> imported numpy module is garbage collected? Or is the imported module
> persistent even though the returned object goes away? I assume that
> python did a dlopen somewhere.

There is no provision in Python for safely unloading a C extension module, so we
simply presume that sys.modules always holds a reference to the imported module
and doesn't let it get garbage collected. People who futz with that get the
segfaults they deserve.  ;-)

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."