[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: Advanced selection, duplicate indices, and augmented assignment

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Wed Jan 10 21:18:57 CST 2007

On 1/8/07, Timothy Hochberg <tim.hochberg at ieee.org > wrote:

> On 1/7/07, Sean R. Lynch < seanl at literati.org> wrote:
> >
> > Travis Oliphant wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think we could make it work as he expects (and not radically
> > > change NumPy itself so that other operations are very different)
> > because
> > > of the limitations of Python.
> > >
> > > The point was that it is too complicated to do any differently (and is
> > > probably impossible).
> >
> > Ok, thanks for the explanation.
> >
> > In that case, is there a way to do what I want (accumulate values per
> > index) without looping in Python? The histogram functions would only
> > count the number of uses of a given index AFAICT. I want to sum all of
> > the normals for a given index.
>

> Sean,
>
> I'm pretty sure that at one point I had a way to do exactly what you are
> doing, however it's been a while and I don't know where that code wandered
> off to. I will think about it now that I'm done doing silly stuff and see if
> I can recall what the trick was.
>
> [Just don't want you to feel abandoned...]

OK, *now* you can feel abandoned. I've thought about this for a couple of
days and  I can't see an efficient way to do it with the current set of
primitives. I think that when I did normal blending before I might have been
working on rectangular grid so every vertex had three neighbors or something
like that.

You're the second or third person to recently come up with a useful
application for using inplace ops with repeated indices only to be stymied
by that fact that they don't actually work that way. I've been wondering if
we should try to come up with a way to support this usage. Although it might
be feasible to make += work, the implementation is horrible, and there are
all sorts of inefficiencies built into that method of doing it.

The natural approach would seem to be to hang another method off the ufuncs.
That way you get support for all of the various operations. I was thinking
something like:

unfunc.inplace (dest, indices, source)

For example, for the add ufunc, this would be more or less equivalent to:

for i, ind in enumerate(indices):
     dest[ind] += source[i]

The main exception being that source would be broadcast appropriately so
that add.inplace(dest, indices, 1), for example, will count how many times
each index appears.

I'm not completely convinced that this is necessary, nor that this is the
way to approach it if it is. But I figured I'd throw it out onto the aether
while I was thinking of it.

--
//=||=\\