[Numpy-discussion] Latest Array-Interface PEP

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jan 12 01:54:04 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:44:15AM -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
>    Trees are nice, but they are not efficient for array type data. Traversing
>    a tree usually requires some sort of stack (recursion), and a tree is not
>    well structured for addressing data using indices. They just aren't
>    appropriate for arrays, arrays are better represented by some sort of
>    lattice.

Yes, indeed. I was just wondering if the PEP could be used for a
performant implementation of trees. Basicaly that is mapping a tree to an
array, which is possible. As far as performance, I think this is not
performant at all when modifying the tree, but I do not know if it is
possible to have an efficient traversing of the tree when it is mapped to
an array.

>    Probably from ROOT?

Yes. It seems a nice software for such things. The problem with it is
that you have to learn C++, and experience shows that not everybody in an
experimental lab is willing to do so.

Gaël