[Numpy-discussion] random permutation

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 12:01:59 CST 2007

On 1/11/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Goodman wrote:
> > Why is the first element of the permutation always the same? Am I
> > using random.permutation in the right way?

> > '1.0rc1'
>
> This has been fixed in more recent versions.
>
>   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/374

I don't see any unit tests for numpy.random. I guess randomness is hard to test.

Would it help to seed the random number generator and at least check
that you get the same result you got before? No existing problems
would be found. But new ones might be caught.

I guess the alternative is a long running, occasionally failing,
statistical tests.