[Numpy-discussion] ANN: MaskedArray as a subclass of ndarray -?followup

Matt Knox mattknox_ca at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 08:13:52 CST 2007

> Moving the implementation to the C-level also has its downside.  To
> me, at least, Python code is much more readable and hence easier to
> maintain.
>
> Is there a way that we can implement only the speed-critical methods
> in C?
>
> Cheers
> Stéfan

Implementing the whole thing in C also has the side benefit of the possibility
making a nice C level api available to these sub-classes. And I suspect the core
numpy developers are comfortable enough with C that maintainability is
*probably* not a huge concern here.

But yeah, implementing even just the speed critical parts in C would still be a
nice improvement.

- Matt