[Numpy-discussion] building NumPy with Intel CC & MKL (solved!)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jan 24 23:06:16 CST 2007

Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi Rex,
>
>> Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation. If
>> only the documentation were so detailed...
>
> Now that you've gone through your odyssey trying to numpy/scipy w/
> this particular combo (SuSE/MKL/IntelCC), now would be a great time
> to whip up wiki page ... you know .. for the documentation ;-)
>
>> So the rpm version only takes ~17% longer to run this program. I'm
>> surprised
>> that there isn't a larger difference. Perhaps there will be in a
>> different type of program. BTW, the cpu is an Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo
>> overclocked to 3.06 GHz (it will run reliably at 3.24 GHz).
>
> That's not so bad, though, is it? I'd also be interested in seeing
> some more benchmarks though .. I wonder if there is a standard
> benchmarking suite somewhere ..

The code used for this benchmark uses only two few functions: poisson
and sum, and I wouldn't be suprised that a lot of code is spent in
python (vs in the core C functions), where the intel compiler doesn't
make a big difference. Does this code uses the MKL at all ? The MKL
gives an optimized fft and BLAS/LAPACK, right ?

David