[Numpy-discussion] building NumPy with Intel CC & MKL (solved!)

rex rex at nosyntax.com
Thu Jan 25 00:13:32 CST 2007

Steve Lianoglou <lists.steve at arachnedesign.net> [2007-01-24 20:06]:

> Now that you've gone through your odyssey trying to numpy/scipy w/
> this particular combo (SuSE/MKL/IntelCC), now would be a great time
> to whip up wiki page ... you know .. for the documentation ;-)

Yes, I should do that, but I want to optimize the compiler flags first,
and try to get SciPy to build.

> > So the rpm version only takes ~17% longer to run this program. I'm
> > surprised that there isn't a larger difference. Perhaps there will be in a
> > different type of program. BTW, the cpu is an Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo
> > overclocked to 3.06 GHz (it will run reliably at 3.24 GHz).
>
> That's not so bad, though, is it? I'd also be interested in seeing
> some more benchmarks though .. I wonder if there is a standard
> benchmarking suite somewhere ..

I think it should do much better. A few minutes ago I compiled a C
math benchmark with :

icc -o3 -parallel -xT

and it ran 2.8x as fast as it did when compiled with gcc -o3. In
fact, it ran at a little over a gigaflop, which is a higher speed than
anyone has reported for this benchmark.

> Congrats on completing the gauntlet,

Thank. It's the 2nd time. I eventually succeed with an earlier version
as well, thanks to Travis.

-rex