[Numpy-discussion] building NumPy with Intel CC & MKL (solved!)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 25 00:20:45 CST 2007

rex wrote:

> I think it should do much better. A few minutes ago I compiled a C
> math benchmark with :
>
> icc -o3 -parallel -xT
>
> and it ran 2.8x as fast as it did when compiled with gcc -o3. In
> fact, it ran at a little over a gigaflop, which is a higher speed than
> anyone has reported for this benchmark.
Without seeing the benchmark, it would be quite hard to know what's
happening. Also, when you are using numpy, you are using python, and for
some cases, it can be really easy to slow things down because you are
doing something wrong (an example is using non contiguous arrays without
knowing it; I got caught often when translating some matlab code to
numpy); also the numeric code in numpy *may* be written in a way that
icc cannot optimize as well as pure C code.

All this is pure speculations, without seeing and running/profiling the
actual code

David