[Numpy-discussion] Build numpy without support of "long double' on OS-X

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmx.net
Thu Jan 25 23:59:01 CST 2007

On 1/25/07, Steve Lianoglou <lists.steve at arachnedesign.net> wrote:
> >> Generally speaking, you need to build binaries on the lowest-
> >> versioned OS X that
> >> you intend to run on.
> >>
> > The problem with building on 10.3 is that it generally comes only with
> > gcc 3.3.   I remember that some things require gcc4 - right ?
>
> I think that might only bite you if you want to compile universal
> binaries, though I'm not sure if there are any other problems w/
> gcc3.3, I'm pretty sure that's the big one.
>
> Of course .. that really shouldn't matter if you're just compiling it
> for yourself for just that cpu.

On the contrary !
I'm trying to provide a precompiled build of numpy together with a
couple a handy
functions and classes that I made myself,
to establish Python as a development platform in
multi-dimensional image analysis.

I call it Priithon and it is build around wxPython, pyOpenG, SWIG and
(of course) numpy [numarray until recently].
I have been working on this project for a couple years as part of my PhD,
http://www.ucsf.edu/sedat/Priithon/PriithonHandbook.html

And I'm trying to have all of
Linux, Windows, OS-X (PPC) and OS-X (intel)
supported.

Now, I'm hoping to be able to include a version of 10.4's libmx.dyso ....
that might be an acceptable workaround.

Thanks,