[Numpy-discussion] Patch for RPy to use NumPy uploaded to www.scipy.org

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Jan 30 18:09:05 CST 2007

I've added a patch to the Porting to NumPy page so that RPy uses NumPy
instead of Numeric.  It would be very helpful for unification if these
package authors would accept these patches.  NumPy is far enough along
in development that I don't think there is any reason for new releases
of packages to continue to support Numeric.

For numarray-support in packages the transition may take a little
longer.   I know that some think that supporting multiple array packages
may be a good idea.  I think that is a recipe for long-term headaches.
We are moving to get the array interface into Python.  Until that
happens (hopefully by Python 2.6), third-party code should write to
NumPy.  You can use the attribute-based array interface if you are
willing to alter that at some point in the future when the array
interface is moved into Python.

-Travis