[Numpy-discussion] Release 0.6.1 of pyaudio, renamed pyaudiolab

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jan 31 07:58:14 CST 2007

Hi There,

    A few months ago, I posted the first release of pyaudio, a python
module to give numpy/scipy environment audio file IO capabilities (ala
matlab wavread and co). I recently took time to update it significantly,
and as several people showed interest in pyaudio recently, I thought
this may interest some people here.
    The main improvements since last public annoucement:

       - renamed to pyaudiolab to avoid nameclash with other package
pyaudio.
       - ability to seek into audio files and sync files for flushing IO
buffers
       - matlab-like API: wavread and wavwrite
       - improvements of the API: more similar to numpy conventions,
ability to retrieve most meta-data of a file.
       - some bug fixing (one bug was quite severe, leading to data
corruption on ubuntu with python2.5, due to some weirdness in ubuntu
python2.5 packaging)
       - a real documentation

    If some people manage to use it on something else than linux, I
would happy to hear (particularly Mac OS X, which I cannot test myself).

    Cheers,

    David

                                ====== pyaudiolab ======

* WHAT FOR ?:

   The Goal of pyaudiolab is to give to a numpy/scipy environment some basic audio IO
facilities (ala sound, wavread, wavwrite of matlab).

   With pyaudiolab, you should be able to read and write most common audio
files from and to numpy arrays. The underlying IO operations are done
using libsndfile from Erik Castro Lopo
(http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/), so he is the one who did the
hard work. As libsndfile has support for a vast number of audio files
(including wav, aiff, but also htk, ircam, and flac, an open source
lossless codec), pyaudiolab enables the import from and export to a fairly
large number of file formats.

* WHERE TO GET ?:

	http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/softwares/pyaudiolab/index.html#download

	bzr archive: http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/pyaudiolab/pyaudiolab.dev