[Numpy-discussion] Patch for RPy to use NumPy uploaded to www.scipy.org

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 31 11:08:48 CST 2007

Tim Churches wrote:
> Yes, except that we have quite a lot of code in fielded applications
> which is written with Numeric, and which also uses RPy. We currently
> have no funds to do the Numeric to NumPy port in our code. If RPy
> dropped support for Numeric, we would be forced to use increasing old
> versions of RPy, which means we would be locked into increasing old
> versions of R.

Aside from Robert's point about passing Numeric arrays to numpy --

It really isn't that much work to port Numeric code to numpy,
particularly if that code is all Python. Truly, numpy is not some brand
new beast, it's the next generation Numeric -- think of it as Numeric2.
Most of it is the same, and the differences are there because it was
decided to sacrifice some backwards compatibility to get a truly BETTER api.

Any code that is under active development (and ideally has some tests!)
can be ported to numpy with very little extra work. If your code is not
under active development, then you might as well stick with all the
existing libs that already work. i.e. if you are upgrading RPy, you
might as well upgrade to numpy as well.

I haven't done it myself[1], but even if you have C code that works with
Numeric arrays, porting that isn't too hard either -- do you think
Travis would be able to do it for an assortment of other packages if it
were? And he (and others on this list) will help!

On the other hand, supporting multiple Num* packages really is a pain in
the *&^@*, and the users are left with a limited subset of what they
could have.

-Chris

[1] I haven't done it myself because I've found that most of the C code
I wrote for Numeric is no longer necessary with a few additional
features in numpy: record arrays, in=place byteswap, fromfile.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov