[Numpy-discussion] convert csv file into recarray without pre-specifying dtypes and variable names

Vincent Nijs v-nijs@kellogg.northwestern....
Fri Jul 6 19:20:08 CDT 2007

I wrote the attached (small) program to read in a text/csv file with
different data types and convert it into a recarray without having to
pre-specify the dtypes or variables names. I am just too lazy to type-in
stuff like that :) The supported types are int, float, dates, and strings.

I works pretty well but it is not (yet) as fast as I would like so I was
wonder if any of the numpy experts on this list might have some suggestion
on how to speed it up. I need to read 500MB-1GB files so speed is important
for me.

Thanks,

Vincent