[Numpy-discussion] Problems building numpy

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar@fas.harvard....
Fri Jul 13 10:06:35 CDT 2007

numpy-discussion@robince.ftml.net wrote:
> I am keen to evaluate numpy as an alternative to MATLAB for my PhD work
> and possible wider use within the department. To make a fairer
> comparison I wanted to build it with optimised ATLAS/LAPACK etc. hence
> building from source.

Far and away the easiest solution is to install Gentoo Linux.  All you need to
do under gentoo is to add the "lapack" useflag and then "emerge numpy".  Gentoo
will automatically install ATLAS/LAPACK by default, compiled according to your
settings, and then compile NumPy to use that LAPACK.

As others have noted, running linux in a virtual machine under Windows may still
be faster and easier than trying to configure a working installation in Windows.
  This is especially true with coLinux, which has near-zero overhead.

--Ben