[Numpy-discussion] Logical Selector

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jul 18 14:15:32 CDT 2007

Geoffrey Zhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am finding that numpy cannot operate on boolean arrays. For example,
> the following does not work:
>
> x=3Darray([(1,2),(2,1),(3,1),(4,1)])
>
> x[x[:,0]>x[:,1] and x[1:]>1,:]
>
> It gives me an syntax error:
>
> -------------------
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#74>", line 1, in <module>
>     x[x[:,0]>x[:,1] and x[1:]>1,:]
> ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is
> ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()
> -------------------
>
> However, this is not what I want. I want a "piece-wise" "AND" operation
> on the two boolean vectors. In other words, the row is selected if both
> are true. How do I accomplish this?

The "and" keyword tries to coerce each of its operands into a Boolean True or
False value. This behavior cannot be overridden in the current Python language
to yield arrays of Boolean values. However, for Boolean arrays, the bitwise
logical operations &, |, and ~ work just fine for this purpose instead of "and",
"or", and "not".

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."